CalWORKs Academic Counseling Services
Located at Imperial Valley College, Hector Lopez Building #100
(Due to campus closure, CalWORKs counseling services are currently offered remotely)
Zoom with IVC CalWORKs
Click on the video icon to connect to the CalWORKs Counseling Virtual Counter on Zoom!
What is CalWORKs?
When you are eligible for the CalWORKs program, you will receive support services that can help you achieve your educational goals. The CalWORKs program provides academic counseling, support services, and childcare assistance. Work-study opportunities may also be available for students currently receiving TANF/CASH AID benefits. CalWORKs assists students in preparing for immediate and successful employment.
Academic counseling is provided to orient students in the CalWORKs Program and inform them of their rights and responsibilities for program participation. CalWORKs counseling will help students in determining eligibility for assistance with the cost of books, transportation and child care in order to complete their educational goals at IVC. Once you meet with an IVC CalWORKs counselor to develop an Education Plan, class time and study time will count toward the CalWORKs required work activity.
Students in the program receive a Student Educational Plan for their educational goal; including general education, and transfer preparation that may be required. Students also receive assistance with petitions to repeat courses, readmission, financial aid petitions and other requirements that may be necessary as a student.
The California Work Opportunities and Responsibilities to Kids Program (CalWORKs) at Imperial Valley College works in partnership with the Imperial County Department of Social Services CalWORKs. This is a categorically state funded program.
Please ask your ETW or Social Worker if you are interested in a referral to the IVC CalWORKs program.
To Be Eligible for CalWORKs:
- Students must receive or qualify to receive cash aid
- Have a child under the age of 18, or the guardian of a child under 18 years of age
- Be referred by their Social Worker from the Department of Social Services
- Bring proof of cash aid benefits to their appointment with the CalWORKs Counselor
CalWORKs Benefits Include:
- Individual academic counseling; Student Educational Plan to achieve educational goal
- Employment assistance for CalWORKs Work Study when available
- Assistance for child care for children ages newborn to 10 years of age
- Referrals to other college programs; EOPS, CARE, DSPS, Tutoring or counseling
- Priority Registration at IVC (forms)
For information about the IVC CalWORKs Assessment Program, please contact IVC CalWORKs Assessment at (760) 337-7421.