CalWORKs Academic Counseling Services
Located at Imperial Valley College, Hector Lopez Building #100
What is CalWORKs?
The California Work Opportunities and Responsibilities to Kids Program (CalWORKs) . Imperial Valley College Counseling Program works in collaboration with the Imperial County Department of Social Services CalWORKs. This is a categorically state funded program.
To Be Eligible for CalWORKs:
- Students must receive or qualify to receive cash aid
- Be referred by their Social Worker from the Department of Social Services
- Bring proof of cash aid benefits to their appointment with the CalWORKs Counselor
CalWORKs Benefits Include:
- Individual academic counseling; Student Educational Plan to achieve educational goal
- Employment assistance for CalWORKs Work Study when necessary
- Assistance for child care for children ages newborn to 10 years of age
- Referrals to other programs; EOPS, CARE, DSPS, Tutoring or counseling
- Priority Registration at IVC (forms)
Academic counseling is provided to orient students in CalWORKs Program and inform them of their rights and responsibilities and to determine if student is eligible to get help to pay for books, transportation and child care in order to complete their educational goals at IVC. If the Imperial County Department of Social Services, CalWORKs approves the Educational Plan, the hours in school count for CalWORKs participation.
Students in this program receive a Student Educational Plan for their educational goal; including general education to transfer and preparation that may be required. Student also receives assistance with petitions to repeat courses, readmission, financial aid petitions or other requirements that may be necessary as a student.
Please ask your ETW or Social Worker if you are interested in a referral to the IVC CalWORKs program.
For information about the IVC CalWORKs Assessment Program, please contact IVC CalWORKs Assessment at (760) 337-7421.