The Upward Bound Program provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in pre-college performances and ultimately in higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelors degree. All program activities and services are free of charge to qualifying students.
· Academic Tutoring Services.
·Advice and Assistance in Secondary and Postsecondary Course Selection Services.
·Preparation for College Entrance Exam Services
· Federal Financial Services
· Guidance on and Assistance in Secondary School Reentry and Entry into Postsecondary Services
·The Common Core State Standards - Instructional Curriculum
·Counseling Services: Academic and Personal
·Exposure to Educational and Cultural Events and Fieldtrip Services
·Mentor and Career Internship Services
·Limited English Proficient, Disabled, Homeless, Foster Care and Disconnected Youth Services
·Summer Residential at UCSD: Instructional & Dormitory Collegiate Experience (5 weeks)
·Summer Bridge at IVC: One College Course, Transferable Credits (6 weeks)
·Summer IVC High School: Instructional & College Experience (5 weeks)
·Summer Educational & Cultural Study tour: Instructional & University Campus tour (7 days)
·College admission applications and financial aid assistance.
Recruitment for the 2020-2021 academic year has commenced. We are currently looking to fill vacancies left by graduating Seniors. The program will be recruiting from the following high schoosl for the vacancies: Brawley, Calexico, Calipatria, Central, Holtville, Imperial and Southwest.
· All students must either be from low-income families or be potential first generation college students.
· The program requires that at least two-thirds of the participants in a project must be both low-income and first-generation college students.
· The remaining third of the participants must either be low-income or first generation college students.
· Eligible student must have completed the 8th grade but not the 9th grade.
· Each applicant will take part in a group interview, followed by a parent-student interview.
· Participants must have a grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
· They must be a student at one of the schools the program services: Brawley, Calexico, Calipatria, Central, Holtville, Imperial or Southwest.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to the COVID-19 virus pandemic, applications for the program CAN NOT be obtained or turned in at our Upward Bound office (at the IVC campus, building 2400). They MUST be submitted via e-mail.