News & Updates
- The Medical Assistant Program begins a new class every Fall.
- In MA 071, students will be required to complete clearances that include a background check and drug screen, basic physical exam and immunizations, and CPR card from the American Heart Association.
- The required uniform will be required in Externship Classes and Skills Lab – MA 077 and 081
The Medical Assistant Program at Imperial Valley College has been active since 1997. Preparation is available for front and back office certification. After completion of 30 units, an IVC Certificate of Achievement in Medical Assisting is awarded, and students prepare to take the certification exam to become certified in California.
Duties of a Medical Assistant
MAs help physicians examine and treat patients and perform routine tasks to keep offices and clinics running smoothly. MAs usually handle clerical and clinical duties and report directly to the office manager or physician. Some administrative (front office) duties include answering phones, greeting patients, updating patient medical records, filling out insurance forms, and arranging for hospital admission and lab services. Some clinical (back office) duties include taking and recording vital signs and medical history, explaining treatment procedures to patients, preparing patients for exams, and assisting during the exam.Medical assistant employment is expected to grow in the next decade. The expansion of healthcare industries and an emphasis on cost containment will result in an increased use of medical assistants by healthcare establishments.
Characteristics, Working Conditions, and Salary
A Medical Assistant is considered a member of the Allied Health team and is a multi-skilled health professional used in ambulatory areas such as clinics and doctor's offices. An MA is expected to be proficient in the administrative, clinical, and lab components of the workplace. Characteristics include organization, critical thinking, excellent communication skills, a compassion demeanor, being a good listener, customer service oriented, trustworthy, being honest and having integrity, competent, adaptable, team player, humility, self-motivator, and having a smile contribute to a great MA. The annual salary is from $32,000 to $38,000 depending on location. The average hourly rate in California ranges from $11 to $16, sometimes higher pending location.
Course of Study
|AHP 100||Medical Terminology|
|MA 071||Introduction to Medical Assistant|
|MA 073||Medical Assitant Administration|
|MA 075||Principles for Medical Billing, Insurance & Coding|
|BIO 090||Anatomy & Physiology for Health Occupations|
|MA 077||Administrative Externiship|
|MA 081||Medication Math & Pharmacology|
|MA 083||Foundations of Medical Practice for MA's|
|MA 085||Exam Room & Special Procedures|
|MA 087||MA Practicum and Review|
Schedule of Classes:
|MA Program begin every Fall Semester|
|AHP 100||BIO 090||MA 081||MA 087|
|MA 071||MA 077||MA 083|
|MA 073||MA 085|
|11 units||4 units||11 units||4 units|
How to Enroll
- Apply to the College (for new and returning students)
- Enroll in Semester 1 MA classes and follow the sequence
A grade of C or higher is required for successful completion of each course; students cannot progress to the next course if a C is not obtained. Check the course syllabus for details. Students with previous credit are advised to meet with a counselor for direction. Refer to the IVC Syllabi Site for course syllabus https://syllabi.imperial.edu/
Required Materials and Cost:
Costs include required textbooks, uniform and accessories, and the certification exam. Additional costs include enrollment fees and parking.
|Tuition (30units)||$46/units x 3 sem = $1,380|
$25 per semester = $50
$15 per winter/summer = $30
1. Today's Medical Assistant: Clinical and Administrative Procedures by Kathy Bonewit-West, Sue A. Hunt, Edith Applegate. 3rd Edition ISBN: 978-0-323-31127-4
2. Study Guide Saunders Elsevier ISBN: 978-0-323-31128-1
3. Exploring Electronic Health Records - 2017 Second Edition - Text and eBook (1-year access) and NAVIGATOR+ (codes via ground delivery) ISBN: 978-0-76388-136-8 Author(s): Darline Foltz and Karen Lankisch PARADIGM
4. Medical Terminology for Health Professions 8th Ed. Ehrlich/Cengage ISBN: 978-1-305-63435-0
5. Principles of pharmacology for Medical Assistanting 6th Ed. / Rice / Cengage ISBN: 978-1-305-85932-6
Students must receive full clearance before entering any of the externship sites. Information is provided to students upon enrolling in MA classes. The following clearances are required:
- A background check and urine drug screen ($110)
- Current BLS CPR card
- Free at IVC: Physical exam, TB screen, and immunizations (Influenza [during flu season Oct-Mar], 2-step MMR, Hepatitis B series, Tdap, and Varicella).
Year-round testing is conducted by the Certifying Board for Medical Assistants (CCBMA)http://www.ccbma.org/. Students take all sections of the exam - Basic plus Administrative and Clinical - to become certified as Medical Assistants in California. Students apply for the exam during MA 084.
The Medical Board of California - http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Licensees/Physicians_and_Surgeons/Medical_Assistants/
Certification Testing - http://www.pearsonvue.com/ccbma/
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) - http://www.nhanow.com/certifications/clinical-medical-assistant