This site offers resources in Spanish for all ages in two unique interfaces, each with its own comprehensive encyclopedia: Enciclopedia Moderna for high school ages and up and Britannica Escolar Online for ages 6-12.
- This is a weekly publication from CQ Press (Congressional Quarterly). It provides summaries, as well as in-depth, unbiased analysis of current major and controversial issues, such as health issues, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology, and the economy.
- GreenFILE is a collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles includes content on global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more. The database provides full text for more than 4,700 records.
Health Source - Consumer Edition (EBSCOhost)
- This database contains consumer health information, providing information on many health topics including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health. It provides access to nearly 80 full text, consumer health magazines.
Health Source - Nursing/Academic Edition (EBSCOhost)
- This database provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. It also features the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names.
- LexisNexis is a powerful database covering general topics, with emphasis on current and historical news, legal topics, medical and health publications, and business information. Newspapers include the Los Angeles Times and the San Diego Union-Tribune. Health periodicals include Lancet and Vaccine Weekly. There are extensive business and industry resources, including SEC filings. Legal resources include codes, cases, and law review articles.
Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (EBSCOhost)
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts
(LISTA) indexes more than 500 core journals, more than 50 priority journals, and 125 selective journals; plus books, research reports and proceedings. Subject coverage includes librarianship, classification, cataloging, bibliometrics, online information retrieval, information management and more. Coverage in the database extends back as far as the mid-1960s.
MAS Ultra - (High) School Edition (EBSCOhost)
- Designed specifically for high school libraries, this database contains full text for nearly 500 popular, high school magazines. MAS Ultra – School Edition
also provides more than 360 full text reference books, 85,670 biographies, 105,786 primary source documents, and a School Image Collection of photos, maps & flags, color PDFs and expanded full text backfiles (back to 1975) for key magazines.
MasterFILE Premier (EBSCOhost)
- This multidisciplinary database provides full text for nearly 1,700 general reference publications with full text information dating as far back as 1975. It also contains full text for nearly 500 reference books and over 164,400 primary source documents, as well as an Image Collection.
Military & Government Collection (EBSCOhost)
- This database offers current news pertaining to all branches of the military and government. There is full text for nearly 300 journals and periodicals, and indexing and abstracts for more than 400 titles.
Opposing Viewpoints in Context (Gale)
- Opposing Viewpoints is a one-stop source on hot topic issues, including viewpoint articles, topic overviews, full-text magazines, academic journals, newspaper articles, primary source documents, statistics, podcasts, and links to websites.
Primary (School) Search (EBSCOhost)
- Primary Search
provides full text for more than 70 popular, magazines for elementary school research. All full text articles included in the database are assigned a reading level indicator (Lexiles), and full text information dates as far back as 1990.
ProQuest (Main Search Page)
- ProQuest is an excellent general subject database, similar to EBSCOhost, with articles from thousands of magazines and newspapers. ProQuest also has specialized subject databases: Accounting and Tax; ABI/INFORM; Asian and European Business; Hoover's Company Records; Career and Technical Education, Education Journals and ERIC, Psychology Journals, Religion, Pharmaceutical, Biology Journals, Health and Medicine, Computing, and Telecommunications.
Psychology Journals (ProQuest)
- More than 700 titles, with over 575 titles available in full text. Access to charts, diagrams, graphs, tables, photos, and other graphical elements essential to psychological research.
- The Rand database is a great source of local and state statistics. It is possible to search for Imperial County statistics in selected categories dealing with health, demographics, census, education, business, and public opinion polls.
- The SIRS database is divided into SIRS Researcher, SIRS Government Reporter, and SIRS Renaissance sections. It provides the full-text of articles and selected government docunents covering social issues, the sciences, and global events. The SIRS Renaaissance section provides articles on various arts and humanities topics.
Virtual Reference Library (Gale)
- Includes the ten-volume American Decades, The Gale Enyclopedia of Mental Health, Encyclopedia of Race and Racism, and Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender.
World Book Online
- The World Book web site offers an encyclopedia, dictionary, atlas, homework help, study aids, and curriculum guides. World Book is publisher of the World Book Encyclopedia.
About our Reference Databases
To provide the best possible tools to insure success in our student's scholastic endeavours, these subscription databases are paid for by Imperial Valley College.
Spencer Library Media Center offers access to these databases from off-campus. You must have a current, valid IVC ID number, which begins with an upper-case "G", and your PIN number. Your "G" number is issued at the time you register as a student or employee and your original PIN is your six digit birth-date (mmddyy). You may change your PIN after you log in into WEBSTAR. Library personnel cannot help you obtain either of these numbers.