Under the direction of the Vice President for Academic Services, the Instructional Dean plans, organizes, administers, develops, and evaluates programs, projects, and activities of assigned academic departments and programs; provides leadership (and works collegially with) faculty and staff to offer high quality educational services for students; and supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned full-time faculty and part-time faculty, classified staff, and student workers.
- Provide effective leadership for program development and program review; analyze program outcomes; and participate in long-range planning for the District.
- Responsible for the development of program and course schedules and enrollment management; set priorities for resource needs; Work with faculty and staff to develop ideas for program sustainability and improvement; maintain relevance of Division programs to meet student and community needs.
- Responsible for the development and management of the division budget and administers financial resources consistent with District policy and sound financial management principles.
- Supervise and evaluate faculty, classified staff, student workers, and auxiliary personnel in accordance with District policies and procedures, collective bargaining contracts, state, and federal regulations;
- Encourage excellence in teaching; arrange for department orientation of new faculty and staff; work with appropriate staff and faculty to develop department/program/division staff development activities; Hold regular department chair and/or division meetings
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Higher education mission, organization, operations, policies and objectives in community colleges.
- Enrollment management and scheduling for student population needs
- Multiple methods of instruction, evaluation methods, curriculum development and instructional management.
- Budget preparation and management.
- Effective interpersonal communication.
- Policies, regulations, goals and objectives of assigned programs and activities.
- Equal Opportunity policy and practices that lead to increased understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for diversity.
- Participatory Governance Policy and Procedures.
- Provisions of Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Plan, organize, develop and evaluate the programs, activities and curriculum of academic division to meet student and community needs..
- Develop and monitor a division/department/program course schedule
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with faculty and staff, students and community members.
- Develop and manage department/program/division budgets.
- Maintain open communication with faculty and staff.
- Work effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds and disabilities to promote access and equity.
- Present a positive image of the College in the community.
- Maintain current knowledge of program policies, regulations, requirements and restrictions.
- Work cooperatively and coordinate projects with other administrators and staff to offer effective services to students.
- Organize and chair meetings, lead workshops, facilitate group discussions.
- Meet schedules and time lines, organize multiple projects effectively, and carry out required project details throughout the year.
- Train, supervise and evaluate personnel.
- Administer grants and special projects as appropriate.
- Utilize technology and educational tools as appropriate to the administrative duties of the position.
- Mediate and resolve faculty, staff and student problems, complaints and first level grievances according to employee contracts and college policy and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The minimum qualifications for this position include the following:
- Possession of a Master's Degree.
- One (1) year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator's assignment.
The preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Possession of a Doctorate Degree
- The equivalent of three (3) years of full-time post-secondary academic experience preferably in a California Community College