Under the direction of the Superintendent/President, the Associate Dean of Human Resources serves as 1) the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), 2) Equal Employment Opportunity Officer (EEO), 3) Title IX Officer for the college and 4) Administrative Leader responsible for the overall design, organization, delivery, supervision, evaluation, and fiscal management of a comprehensive Human Resources, Payroll, and Benefits Program.
• Plan, organize, direct, and provide leadership for assigned human resources functions, services, and activities including recruitment programs and selection activities for academic, classified, and administrative personnel; classification and compensation studies and programs; and workers' compensation activities and related programs.
• Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs; recommend and administer policies, procedures, and programs.
• Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of departmental service delivery methods and procedures and recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
• Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the human resources department annual budget; participate in the forecasting monitoring and approving expenditures; and implement adjustments.
• Plan, direct, and coordinate the work of assigned staff, review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures; and organize and meet with staff to plan, develop, and implement effective programs and services in assigned areas of responsibility.
• Responsible for the oversight of payroll and benefits programs.
• Consult with and advise administrators, managers, and supervisors on a variety of human resources matters including in the interpretation and application of policies and procedures related to personnel, collective bargaining agreements, federal laws, state laws, California Education Code, and other applicable legal guidelines and rulings; and ensure personnel actions are in compliance with current law and internal policies.
• Coordinate and present personnel training programs and informational presentations.
• Provide assistance to the Superintendent/President as requested research background information related to labor negotiations; participate in reviewing and analyzing bargaining proposals from labor unions; participates in bargaining unit contract negotiations, conduct meet-and-confer discussions with unrepresented groups; and participate in the preparation of management proposals and counter-proposals.
• Participate in monitoring District adherence to collective bargaining agreements; participate in investigating and addressing employee grievances arising out of the application and interpretation of the collective bargaining agreements.
• Conducts a variety of employment investigations including complaints and allegations of: unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment, hostile work environment, etc. and according to approved District procedures.
• Manage and oversee the human resources management computer systems; participate in the development of new systems and in solving problems with existing systems in collaboration with Information Systems staff; and oversee and participate in the development and implementation of web-based human resources management systems including web-based recruitment activities.
• Oversee the processing of personnel transaction documents, maintenance of department records and files, and security and accessibility of those documents and records.
• Conduct a variety of studies and investigations; prepare a variety of statistical and narrative reports including governing board reports, Chancellor's Office reports, contracts, documents, and other materials.
• Serve as designee for the District's Affirmative Action and Title IX Compliance Officer; assist in developing and administering the District's Staff Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Plan and related policies and programs to assure compliance with federal, state, and District regulations.
• Serve as Chair of the Staffing Resource Committee and Chairs or participates in committees related to professional development. (currently Campus Hour and Professional Development) ;
• Administer assigned employee relations programs including the District's Incentive Program and Employee Rewards and Recognition Program.
• Keep abreast of laws, regulations, legislation, and court decisions pertaining to human resources programs and services; recommend and assist in implementation of changes in policy or procedures as necessary to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
• Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of human resources, program development and implementation.
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Knowledge, experience and abilities to perform the above listed responsibilities and functions in an efficient, effective, harmonious manner.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Principles, trends, methods, strategies and procedures pertaining to human resources management, labor relations, staff diversity and staff development.
• Principles, methods, techniques and strategies of organizational planning, evaluation and forecasting.
• Principles and practices of management and supervision.
• Wage and salary administration;, job and compensation analysis; job descriptions and classification systems; and legal mandates, policies and procedures appropriate to the administration of a comprehensive human resources program in a community college, e.g., appropriate laws, applicable retirement systems, and workers' compensation.
• Data management, storage and retrieval systems and an understanding of the dynamics of the changing environment in information technology.
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
• Develop, design and implement reports, policies and studies covering a wide range of college concerns.
• Apply technology to effectively and efficiently manage services.
• Establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff, administrators, and community.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Make clear and concise oral presentations.
• Work in an atmosphere of participatory governance with decision-making.
• Demonstrate consensus-building skill.
• Demonstrate understanding, sensitivity and commitment to meeting the needs of the diverse ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic and disability backgrounds of students, faculty, staff and community.
• Lead, develop, supervise, and evaluate assigned personnel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Possession of a Master's degree with a major in human resources management, business administration, public administration, or related field.
• Five years of increasingly responsible professional public personnel or related experience including three years of supervisory and management experience.
• Experience administering a worker's compensation and benefits program is desirable.
• An earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
• An understanding of the California Community College mission, its educational and financial issues, state laws and regulations of California, and the changing role of Community Colleges.
• Demonstrated experience with labor negotiations and strategic planning
LICENSE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid California driver's license and must have an acceptable driving record and current vehicle insurance meeting State and California requirements.
$108,848 - $133,869 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience. A competitive total compensation package is offered, which includes options for inclusion in a state retirement system, employer/employee paid medical coverage options, dental, vision, and life insurance.
If you would like a printer friendly version of this job description, please click here.
Copyright © 2011 Imperial Valley College. All Rights Reserved
380 E. Aten Rd., Imperial, CA 92251 | Main Campus Phone: 760-352-8320
For Employment Opportunities, please visit www.imperial.edu/jobs | Website Problems?
Regroup Emergency Alerts Signup | Student Complaint Policy | Campus Smoking Policy | Student of Concern Form | IVC Facebook Page