Course Development Process
Thank you for your interest in teaching online. To develop online courses at IVC, please do the following:
- Obtain approval to develop an online or hybrid course from your Department Chair and Division Dean, as well as notify the other FT/PT faculty within your department of your intent to develop the online course. (NOTE: Requests for development of online/hybrid Basic Skills and/or ESL courses must be approved by the Vice President for Academic Services.)
- Contact the DE Coordinator, Gaylla Finnell, at
or ext. 6511 to be placed on the course development schedule. In addition, the DE Coordinator will assist in the processing of an online addendum, if needed, through CurricUNET. All courses taught online must have an online addendum approved through the Curriculum Committee.
- Prior to teaching online at IVC, instructors must complete three (3) courses through @ONE Training (Introduction to Online Teaching and Learning, Introduction to Teaching with Blackboard, and Creating Accessible Online Courses). Copies of the Certificates of Completion must be forwarded to the DE Coordinator upon completion of the training.
- After completion of the first three @ONE courses, faculty are required to complete two (2) additional @ONE courses (Building Online Community with Social Media and Designing Effective Online Assessment). These courses must be completed within two (2) years of completing the first two introductory courses.
- No later than six (6) weeks prior to the start of priority registration, develop at least 50% of your online course for review and approval through the Distance Education Committee. Contact the DE Coordinator as soon as you have the course ready for review to schedule your course evaluation. The DE Committee evaluation team will need access to your course, a copy of your Course Map, and a copy of your Course Syllabus.
- All courses must meet the accessibility requirements of Section 508.
If you have any questions, or need any assistance, please contact the DE Coordinator, Gaylla Finnell, at
or ext. 6511.
DE Course Development Checklist: Online_Course_Development_Checklist_Rev10.08.2014.pdf
DE Course Evaluation Form: DE Course Evaluation Form
Course Map Template: DE Course Map Template (11-2014)
Syllabi Template: Syllabi_Template_rev-Jan2015
Section 508 Accessibility Checker: How to use the Word Accessibility Checker
Section 508 Tutorials, Guidance and Checklists
Resources for Implementing and Understanding Section 508: www.section508.gov
Captioning Video to Enhance Accessibility: https://blogs.tees.ac.uk/teltees/2014/06/11/captioning-video-to-enhance-accessibility/